Monday 27 October 2014

Blake's Heart Murmur scare x

A few months ago I took Blake to see our GP as I was a bit worried about his BCG injection which on his skinny arms looked huge and infected. It turned out that his BCG was perfectly normal and was healing fine. While we was there I asked the doctor to take a listen to Blakes chest as he sometimes breathes quite heavily and used to snore. So, after what seemed like ages I was told that she could hear an innocent heart murmur. It was not what I was expecting to hear at all and it shocked me completely. I was told in detail what she could hear but it was a bit of a blur; something about the blood wooshing through the chamber. The doctor went on to tell me that its quite common in babies and Blake could grow out of it but just to make sure she referred him to the hospital to get it all checked out.

I was a bit angry, upset and confused when Blake's hospital appointment letter came through because it was scheduled for October. My family talked about maybe going private but when I  took Blake to get weighed I spoke to the health visitor and she explained that they wait a few months and it was nothing to worry about.

After a few months of waiting and worrying Blake had his appointment last week. The night before I couldn't sleep I was so worried. I cuddled Blake all night, hoping, wishing and praying that we'd get good news that the heart murmur had sorted itself out.
So we got to the hospital and had to go to the childrens outpatient ward. The appointment went quite quick but it did feel like forever when the doctor was listening to Blake's chest. After she had listened she looked up at me and told me she couldn't hear a heart murmur. I cannot explain how happy I was to hear those words. It was exactly what I wanted to hear. But just to make sure the doctor sent for Blake to have an ECG and arranged for us to have a follow up appointment in 2 months time.

I wasn't told the the results of the ECG but I haven't heard anything from the hospital since so I am assuming no news is good news. So now we will just wait for the next appointment but I'm not worried. I know there isn't anything serious with Blake's heart so I am a happy mummy.

Blake was soo well behaved at his appointment. And I was so proud of him. He had to keep having his clothes taken off and put back on and then he had to lay still while the doctor listened to his heart and he had to have the ECG stickers stuck to his little chest and had to stay so still while they took a reading. And he didn't once grizzle or cause a fuss. He was amazing.

While we was at the hospital I arranged to meet my student midwife Jenna who helped me through my pregnancy and delivered Blake and cut his chord. It was soo lovely to see Jenna and for her to have cuddles with Blake. She was also really helpful and came with me to the appointment. So thank you soo much Jenna if you are reading this.

I know people usually say when you or loved one has an illness or something, the worst thing to do is to google it. But google helped reassure my mind when I first found out that Blake could have an innocent heart murmur.
If you are in a similar situation and would like to talk to someone about anything I have wrote about please do not hesitate to contact me..

Lots of love

Kimi
x

1 comment:

  1. This is similar to an experience I had with my son a couple of years ago when he was a few months old. It was missed at his 6 wk appt and when we had an accident the A&E doctor casually referred to his heart murmur which i didnt know existed! Had tests and he has an open duct that should be closed so now he is bigger we are awaiting heart surgery as we speak!

    Thankfully it sounds like you wont be going through the same thing! I blogged about it and linked with a childrens heart charity as it needs to be tested on each newborn rather than left to chance in my opinion!

    Thanks for linking to my new #singleparentlinky
    You didnt add a specific blog post to the link so I chose this one and amended it, hope that's ok!

    Dont forget to comment on other posts in the link up.

    Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete